海归网首页   海归宣言   导航   博客   广告位价格  
海归论坛首页 会员列表 
收 藏 夹 
论坛帮助 
登录 | 登录并检查站内短信 | 个人设置 论坛首页 |  排行榜  |  在线私聊 |  专题 | 版规 | 搜索  | RSS  | 注册 | 活动日历
主题: my two cents: think beyond the VT massacre and
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 海归商务           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙
  阅读上一个主题 :: 阅读下一个主题
作者 my two cents: think beyond the VT massacre and   
parisparis

头衔: 海归少将

头衔: 海归少将
声望: 讲师

加入时间: 2004/09/04
文章: 1996

海归分: 276207

文章标题: my two cents: think beyond the VT massacre and (871 reads)      时间: 2007-4-19 周四, 23:43   

作者:parisparis海归商务 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

it is NOT about face, (0 reads) 时间: 19 4 2007 15:34

it is about whether one group will become the target of the political actions of others.

it is about the political alliance inside this democratic machine called America.

In the history of America, many unexpected social events resulted in the political re-alignment among different ethnic groups. The pearl habor attacked resulted in the concentration camps for Japanese (all whites, Latin or Germanic vs. Jap) , even those Japanese American citizens with their natural born civil rights. This attack also resulted in the naturalization of many Chinese in America in 1940s since China was then America's formal alliance. Italians in America almost ended up with similar concentration treatment after pearl habor attack, a gov action that was finally reversed by FDR. But Italian American solders were sent only to the Asian frontier. The attack by German submarines on the open sea resulted in America's participation in the WWI and Wilson was once considering to relocating all German Americans in US. His plan could not be implemented since German Americans were already everywhere by 1910s.

Though America was more open to Jews compared with the Europe, but any old Jews will tell you how much discrimination they had experienced before the civil right movement in 1960s. Despite being so smart and hard-working as one ethnic group, before 1960s, there were much lower percentage of Jewish professors in US campus than today. Mass. state legislature passed state legistlation in early 1980s to support Irishmen who fled Ireland to US because of economic depression at that time. Why can they do that? Because Irish American were everywhere in Mass.... The list can go on.... Another dirty historical fact is that the US gov employed many German intelligence officers after WWII even though their hands were soaked with blood. You know who dig it out and pushed fiercely for the legislation to declassify such secret files and punish these people? A female congresswoman from California. You just look her face then you should know the answer....

History is a mirror and it repeats itself...

In U.S., ethnic card is always played in the politic and legislative process. Asians do not observe that because we are not even in the game and we can not see the delicate differences among different ethnic groups. I ask 10 Chinese around me and all Chinese can not identify Jews among other non-Asian people, most of Chinese can not identify the cultural differences among Italians, Englishmen, Scots and Irishs, even though these cultural differences are everywhere in their daily life.

Again, it is not about face, it is about shift in power and public mood. Shift in alliance will then impact the legislative process and impact the social status of various ethnic groups. Look at how muslims were "treated" in the gov agencies and in airports. Fair treatment is always an ideal but not 100% in our daily life, even in today's America.

作者:parisparis海归商务 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

相关主题
影视圈:I was misquoted on June 4 massacr... 海归茶馆 2013-8-03 周六, 06:47
【提上来回小青蛙】My guts feeling with a price... 海归茶馆 2007-4-06 周五, 01:42
[老中原创/情色] 吴越MM请大家帮她写她小说的英文简介, MY TWO ... 海归酒吧 2006-8-24 周四, 02:02
建议海归网改名为中华桥梁网, My Two Cents 海归论坛 2006-1-20 周五, 12:47
My 2 Cents About This Site 海归论坛 2005-5-28 周六, 15:58
My 2 cents on China, Japan and US 海归论坛 2005-4-19 周二, 02:09
ZT: More Than Two Cents For China's T... 海归论坛 2004-7-03 周六, 07:17

返回顶端
阅读会员资料 parisparis离线  发送站内短信
显示文章:     
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 海归商务           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙 所有的时间均为 北京时间

论坛转跳:   
不能在本论坛发表新主题, 不能回复主题, 不能编辑自己的文章, 不能删除自己的文章, 不能发表投票, 您 不可以 发表活动帖子在本论坛, 不能添加附件不能下载文件, 
   热门标签 更多...
   论坛精华荟萃 更多...
   博客热门文章 更多...

海归网二次开发,based on phpbb
Copyright © 2005-2024 Haiguinet.com. All rights reserved.