海归网首页   海归宣言   导航   博客   广告位价格  
海归论坛首页 会员列表 
收 藏 夹 
论坛帮助 
登录 | 登录并检查站内短信 | 个人设置 论坛首页 |  排行榜  |  在线私聊 |  专题 | 版规 | 搜索  | RSS  | 注册 | 活动日历
主题: VC Prespective - view from a VC
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 海归商务           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙
  阅读上一个主题 :: 阅读下一个主题
作者 VC Prespective - view from a VC   
greenfieldcn
[博客]
[个人文集]

游客

文章标题: VC Prespective - view from a VC (637 reads)      时间: 2005-8-20 周六, 07:07      

作者:游客海归商务 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

Anyway, as I had time to think about it, it might be helpful for entrepreneurs to understand how VC funds operate to better understand our motivations and to better align interests. At the end of the day, VCs are in the capital gains business. We make money when our LPs make money which means that the companies we fund and entrepreneurs that we back need to be successful. Clearly when VCs and their LPs negotiate their agreement, economics are the most important topic at stake. While VCs get management fees to pay the bills, it is the carried interest portion or % of profits that VCs receive that really drives our thinking and aligns our economics with performance. In any typical fund, we except 1 to 2 deals to be homeruns with 10x or greater returns, 3-4 to be pretty good returns, and the rest to either get our money back or lose money. What that means is that every one of our deals needs to have significant return potential and market size for us to think about investing in a deal. In addition, companies should be capital efficient (see an earlier post on capital efficient business models) meaning that no more than $25-30mm should go in, especially if a home run deal acquisition is $200-300mm (not $1b). If only 1 to 2 deals have home run potential, the chances of us getting any one of them to really work is slim to none. If the majority have this potential, we get more at bats at the plate and more opportunity to create real value for the fund. As a fund matures, VCs need to demonstrate real cash-on-cash returns to go out and raise the next fund.

This is the point at which conflict could exist. First, there could be situations where the VC says no to a great opportunity to sell the company but for whatever reason wants to hold out for a greater return. On the other hand, there could be situations where a VC wants to exit too early with a decent return but not optimizing the overall value of the company in order to return capital to investors. At the end of the day, what this means is that entrepreneurs and VCs need to get on the same page pre-investment in terms of everyone's expectations for performance and goals. In addition, there needs to be constant communication as the markets and company evolves to ensure this alignment. The good news is that given a VCs economics, we only do well when the entrepreneur and company does well so what better alignment could there be. A point of diligence for entrepreneurs could be understanding where in the fund lifecycle a VC is and what some of their returns to date have been.

作者:游客海归商务 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

相关主题
ZT: CEO view: Gary Wang (MBA ‘02J), f... 海归商务 2011-1-28 周五, 17:04
market view for 2011 转折点在哪里 谈股论金 2011-1-20 周四, 07:46
[贴图]几张bird-view照片just for fun, and I'... 海归酒吧 2010-9-30 周四, 08:38
my market view short term and middle ... 谈股论金 2010-8-04 周三, 04:58
Euro correlation and market view 马后炮 谈股论金 2010-5-20 周四, 13:35
Update on my market view 谈股论金 2010-3-12 周五, 13:19
my market view 2010-3-06 周六, 14:29
my market view 谈股论金 2010-3-03 周三, 03:23

返回顶端
显示文章:     
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 海归商务           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙 所有的时间均为 北京时间

论坛转跳:   
不能在本论坛发表新主题, 不能回复主题, 不能编辑自己的文章, 不能删除自己的文章, 不能发表投票, 您 不可以 发表活动帖子在本论坛, 不能添加附件不能下载文件, 
   热门标签 更多...
   论坛精华荟萃 更多...
   博客热门文章 更多...

海归网二次开发,based on phpbb
Copyright © 2005-2024 Haiguinet.com. All rights reserved.