海归网首页   海归宣言   导航   博客   广告位价格  
海归论坛首页 会员列表 
收 藏 夹 
论坛帮助 
登录 | 登录并检查站内短信 | 个人设置 论坛首页 |  排行榜  |  在线私聊 |  专题 | 版规 | 搜索  | RSS  | 注册 | 活动日历
主题: [转帖]美国经济衰退 对冲基金的天堂
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 海归商务           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙
  阅读上一个主题 :: 阅读下一个主题
作者 [转帖]美国经济衰退 对冲基金的天堂   
所跟贴 星岛环球网:贝尔斯登交易员日记 -- 游客 - (3328 Byte) 2008-4-20 周日, 23:00 (751 reads)
dejavu

头衔: 海归少校

头衔: 海归少校
声望: 学员

加入时间: 2004/02/20
文章: 148

海归分: 24311

文章标题: The real reason BSC agreed to the $2 buy-out (584 reads)      时间: 2008-4-21 周一, 05:23   

作者:dejavu海归商务 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

HFM: Well, the government had their role. The difference between what happened and a normal takeover is the Fed, because the Fed is providing JPMorgan some non-recourse financing for Bear Stearns assets. The strange thing about the deal is that Morgan is paying so little for Bear Stearns. Bear Stearns was trading at 170 dollars a share not that long ago, now the deal was 2 dollars a share. A lot of wealth was wiped out. The question is, why would anyone accept it? Just before you came in today, JPMorgan increased their offer to 10 dollars. But a 2-dollar share offer, for the most part it’s like, "This is like pennies to me. I’ll say no to this deal and maybe I’ll do better in bankruptcy." The reason the Fed didn’t want Bear to go through bankruptcy is that there are all kinds of interconnections between Bear and other banks. There’s counterparty risk, it could lead to panic, it could lead to a whole mess in the financial market, so the Fed just wants the problem to go away, the Treasury just wants the problem to go away. But if I am a shareholder it’s not my problem. "Let’s go bankrupt, let’s see, maybe we can do better than 2 dollars!" So everyone here was puzzled that Bear would agree to that kind of a deal.

Now Bear Stearns is unusual in that a lot of the shares are owned by insiders in the company, and the theory we had at the desk here is that the Treasury Department—not the Fed, the Fed’s not so tough, but the Treasury Department went to the top guys at Bear and said: "Either a deal gets done that saves Bear and calms the financial system by the end of this weekend, or we will find some reason to put you in jail." And I think one of the things that every officer of a public company is very sensitive to, post-Enron, is jail. There has been a criminalization of failure. And after Sarbanes-Oxley, and in the wake of prosecutions related to business failures, it was like Beria said: You show me the man, I’ll find the crime.

So I think for these guys it wasn’t just, "I’m risking 2 dollars if I say no," it was, "I’m risking 2 dollars plus an-al rape in jail."

n+1: I don’t think they put them in that kind of jail.

HFM: OK, then tennis. "I’m risking exposing the weaknesses of my tennis game." So anyway that was the reason that deal was struck.

作者:dejavu海归商务 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

相关主题
[转帖]美国经济衰退几率越来越大,中国何去何从 海归主坛 2007-8-19 周日, 13:34
[转帖]朝鲜战争是谁的需要:1949年美国经济衰退被缩短 海归主坛 2010-7-05 周一, 11:23
[转帖] 美国实力衰退假象的解析与思考 海归主坛 2008-2-04 周一, 13:36
万维专稿: 各种迹象指向美国经济衰退 海归主坛 2007-10-02 周二, 02:19
谢国忠:次按危机可能引发美国经济衰退 海归主坛 2007-8-10 周五, 21:28
世界为美国经济衰退做好准备了吗? 海归论坛 2007-1-01 周一, 08:49
ZT: 解开美国经济衰退之谜 海归论坛 2005-12-30 周五, 11:50
[转帖]美国经济减缓明显 个人平均收入比去年严重倒退 海归主坛 2008-7-16 周三, 07:54

返回顶端
阅读会员资料 dejavu离线  发送站内短信
显示文章:     
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 海归商务           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙 所有的时间均为 北京时间

论坛转跳:   
不能在本论坛发表新主题, 不能回复主题, 不能编辑自己的文章, 不能删除自己的文章, 不能发表投票, 您 不可以 发表活动帖子在本论坛, 不能添加附件不能下载文件, 
   热门标签 更多...
   论坛精华荟萃 更多...
   博客热门文章 更多...

海归网二次开发,based on phpbb
Copyright © 2005-2024 Haiguinet.com. All rights reserved.